Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dates

I have a thing with dates. Some dates just get kind of stuck in my head ... seriously. Does that ever happen to you???

Like tomorrow ... tomorrow is 17 years since my grandfather - my mom's dad - passed away. I called him Papa, not 'abuelo' ... just, Papa. It was 1993, three months before I graduated from college. He came to visit Christmas 1992 ... he would stay up with me while I was up late studying for finals. He was so proud. He told me many times that I would be the first grandchild that graduated from college. He was proud of me.

That Christmas, when it came time for him to leave, he was so weak that he had to be taken into the plane on a wheelchair. My mom went with him. And from that time until the time that he passed away ... every time my mom said she wanted to see her father, I sent her to PR. American Express loved me to say the least ... but if I had to do it all over again, I would, with no hesitation.

Funny how our brain functions ... up until like maybe 3 years ago I would have told you that when Papa passed away, I sent my mom with my sister to Puerto Rico for her funeral. The truth is ... I went with mom to PR. For some reason, I had blocked it out. I don't know why - I just did.

So yeah, I have a thing with dates. As I write this, my aunt - my only living aunt - is in the hospital in Puerto Rico. She is 63 yrs old. And I love her. And I miss her. Tons. Lots. Bunches. I know tomorrow is 17 yrs that Papa left this Earth - I am hoping that she doesn't get to leave any time soon. I need her.

No comments:

Post a Comment